i often share too much....say too much...let the rum warm me and wax rhapsodic about past exploits and entanglements. this is the case on the New Babbage ning...this journal has been a way to say what i like without murking the waters of my city with more information than should be shared...case in point my backstory. was asked by Miss Poppy to give a notecard with a short bio for the Stockings! gallery exhibit....and as you can well imagine that was a challenging task for one as vain, shallow, and effusive as i am to keep it indeed *short* but i valialantly tried and am trimming my Ning profile and putting it here...and replacing it with the shorter version of my checkered past.
- What has brought you to New Babbage and SL Steampunk?
- I couldn't help myself...for years at sea i was happy, content, made rich with shipping and other umm profitable ventures...My ship was my home in any and all ports and i adored it. The Queen Anne's Revenge, a relic ship by Baron Grayson himself...loved by myself and my crew and feared by ...oh..many. But because i couldn't stay on my ship ALL the time!.... when i was craving the solid earth beneath my feet Babbage was a wonderous place to visit and to explore....and the people have always been more than kind to me...i looked around and i was AWED and amazed at what has been wrought....it just drew me!...and that is why i eventually i retired from my life upon the high seas and bought my factory Llewellyn Industries, built Llewellyn Gardens featuring the Obolensky Steampunk Metal Treehouse, The Dewi Sant United Welsh Chapel & Parsonage Tower, and the Topham Memorial Park.
- Update, i have since sold the church after the ground openend up and swallowed it whole... a bad sign for the land and its dubious crypt activities. and the Park i have mowed over and laid cobble planting my Treehouse there a more fitting and industrial setting for such a fine structure.
There is something about New Babbage that is difficult for even a wordy girl like me to elucidate....it just resonates with me. There is something that rises inside me.... when i walk down the streets or by the waters of New Babbage and and i look up at the buildings, the creations that fill me with AWE i get a sense that ANYthing is possible!
a recent highlander said about me being ((RL)): "welsh then?
bones made of slate and gold; feet of the webbed variety; kill a man at 50 yards by singing at him in close harmony ? "
Oooer...that sounds good, no?
- Could you provide a bit of background about yourself?
- Youngest daughter of Lord Aloysius and Lady Laurel Llewellyn shipbuilders and exporters for generations and who still reside on the family estate in Conwy, North Wales. She stowed away on one of her family's ships at age 12 and sailed around the world disguised as a cabin boy. Upon returning home she was severly reprimanded and put under such constraints that marrying her older cousin, Captain Alembic Morington Llewellyn....the black sheep of his side of the family at age 18 was her only escape. Little did she know her new husband was augmenting importing and exporting with piracy....but she soon not only adapted to it but became adept at it. Sadly, poor Alembic was a better pirate than swimmer and he perished after falling (not pushed!) overboard as tea was called one day.
Now a Captain in her own rights...she led her ragtail crew of scurvy soundrels and rogues and sailed the seas plundering and pillaging and piling up booty until retiring and going into deep mourning for her dearly departed husband. Has also traveled to Russia and earned the name
"I have found in all my years and in all my travels it's our vices that say more about us than our virtues" Capt. Red
Semi-retired Privateer, Explorer and Librarian a member of the great town of New Babbage, the Independent State of Caledon, New Toulouse, Opus Free Port, Steam Sky City, Silent's Folly, and Winterfell.
a postscript from her desk:
My factories are open to the public or for guided tours upon request...just IM or drop a notecard to me. Can't wait for a personal guided tour? then pray look at my profile picks for landmarks and explore on your own... i just ask that you follow the requests i make as detailed in my welcome notecard...so please, Keep it when you are offered it. And if i am in residence please call out before exploring...and don't walk in on me whilst changing! LOL unless you can tie a tight corset string and avert your eyes!
Capt. Redgrrl (Red) Llewellyn - Rich Merry Widow, Lady Privateer (Ret.), & a Captain of Industry
Capt. Red is a Welsh born Lady of an eccentric shipbuilding family. An irreverent hoyden from the cradle she married young and went to sea with her piratical cousin & husband who was a better pirate than swimmer as he perished after falling (not pushed!) overboard as tea was called one day.
Deciding that the sea life was for her she ventured forth with her loyal (but cutthroat) crew and continued with his work until she retired after selling the Queen Anne's Revenge (twas no Blackbeard who had the ship but a Redhead...the public are are so easily duped!) settling in the fair sooty city of New Babbage.
A new chapter of her life has started in Wheatstone Waterways, New Babbage became her home where she opened Llewellyn Industries, Llewellyn Factory Gardens, & the great Obolensky Metal Steampunk Treehouse all of which properties are open to the public. A Caledon Oxbridge Professor, Capt. Llewellyn is also a generous patron of builders and dress makers, an arbiter of fashion, noted interior decorator, an expert historian of the undergarment and female fripperies and humble and modest to a fault. Invited to speak at the grid famous New Babbage Salon the daring Capt. Llewellyn gave a detailed talk on Amour! 2000 Years of Corset History in 20 Minutes, with Illustrations!. She is also a loyal and active member of the New Babbage Ladies Fire Brigade, and other civic causes, hostessing parties and events, she has striven to give back to the community and to make up for her profitable years of dissolute plunder.
New Babbage Ladies Fire Brigade : daring ladies of New Babbage and take to land, air and sea to fight fires and defend their city!
NBLFB Tea and Fashion Show: the ladies dress up (and down) to show their favourite gowns and hats!
Llewellyn Industries: Please don't ask what we manufacture here... our official answer is "No Comment"
May Day Carnival Dance & Party Featuring Urchins as Lord of Misrule & the Mayday Queen
Smokestacks & Soot the Way We Like it Here: a View from the great Obolensky Metal Steampunk Treehouse